Thursday, April 12, 2012

If You are Gonna be Stupid, You Better be Tough





My dad was a Baptist Minister.  He coached football early in life, but his calling was to pastor.  To this day I don't feel there was a man more called to the ministry than he was.  A man that truly lived what he taught.  I loved him greatly, however I am sure that there were many times that I disappointed.  My dad and I had many debates over many things, that often resulted in mom calling a time out and an agree to disagree.  It would get heated but we would never be mad, always knew we loved each other. He always used you try to get me to understand the value in trusting other people.  "Kyle,  he would say " I would rather live my life trusting and be let down, then not trust anyone and miss out".  I believe those to be great words.  I followed them.  I was screwed over a couple of times in jobs that I was in by "friends"  that I trusted and cost me those jobs.  That is when I learned another lesson taught to me by another man that I respect a lot.  A principal of mine named Carl Raley told me, "Kyle if you are gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough". Bobby Petrino could have used these words, Ozzie Guillen could ponder them, and trust me Kyle Davis has needed them repeated to him many a times.  What Raley was telling me was if I am gonna keep trusting and believing in the same types of  people I was gonna continue to get the same result.  Definition of stupidity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.  So if you are gonna keep getting the same result, you better develop a toughness that can handle it.  I think it is more of a man thing, and better yet a prideful man thing.  We think we got it all figured out.  We know everything.  Everybody is in it for the same reason we are, so we trust all aspects of the scenario.  Only to find in the end, people are for themselves.  Bobby thought those state police loved Arkansas football and him as much as he did to keep the chick under wraps. Stupid! We will see how tough he is.  Ozzie thought since Miami had that new ball park and the fan base was larger then ever he could complement Castro on such an outstanding job.  Yeah that fan base largely Cuban, like telling New Yorker's Osama Bin Laden was highly effective as a leader. Stupid!  We will see how tough he is.  Fact is call it arrogance, stubbornness, or stupidity we that live like this have developed a kind of choice pattern that leads us full circle back to where we started.  I can't tell you how many times I have been told I was a bad judge of character, bring people in my circle and.... bam..... yep another lesson in developing toughness.  It is not destructive behavior, it is just too much trust and belief in your fellow man.  A belief that they think like you and care for you and in the end nothing could be further from the truth.   All I can do is shake my head, but I am sure I will do it again.  I think it is good to trust, but I think it is better to be smart.  Folks that truly love us and we should be trusting suffer, much like watching a car crash bout to happen but can't do nothing to stop it.  They just pick up the pieces.  God love them for it.  Unfortunately I am tougher myself than I would like to be, generally speaking I have done my fair share of stupid stuff.  Trust me I would rather live by the way by dad described but maybe with a little more discretion. The goal for me, and folks like me, lets be a little more soft and lose a lot more "friends". I need to stop trusting and believing every word of the people that "trust" and pay a little more attention to their actions.  What is really being represented.  Who knows maybe it will make me a better person in the process, and who doesn't want to get better..........Trust Me!                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment