Thursday, March 22, 2012

Tough Call

I have two children... going on three.  I coach football on the high school level and umpire baseball.  I was fortunate enough to play college baseball and have a father that was a  college football player and high school football coach.  Needless to say coaching and sports are a big part of my life. My dad was always happy that I played ball, and he truly enjoyed watching me and my siblings  play.  In high school I can probably count the number of  times on both hands that he or my mom missed a game.  Me, my brother and sister were just a blessed bunch of kids to have the support at home like that.  With this being said, we were never forced to play or yelled at for not doing well.  I took a scolding once or twice for not doing my best, but that was well warranted.  Because that was the only rule that my parents had if you are going to play, you will finish the season and do the best your ability will let you do.  Hey I can live with that. Seeing the great model that my parents showed to me, I vowed along time ago that I did not want to coach my own kids until they were high school age.  Well McKenzie is all girl:dresses, cheerleading, baton, and spending money.  Don't really think I will have to worry about coaching her.  Now Gage on the other hand is all boy.  If it can be thrown he is gonna throw it.  If it can be kicked, hes gonna kick it.  And if it can be broke, well he probably has already broken it. He loves any and all sports and I hope that he keeps that desire and I can coach him one day.  But not till High School, right?  I just don't want to be an overbearing dad that lives through their seven year old.  Trust me nothing is more saddening than to be umpiring a 10 year old travel ball game and see a dad yell at his son "your horrible".  It breaks my heart.  The fact that my competitiveness, over 10 year old's mind you, cause me to belittle my own son in front of everyone is just wrong. I just wanna tell him "hey man your coaching ain't nothing to write home about either", but that is unprofessional.  These dads that live through their sons, push them to far, cause them to hate the game.  I don't think I would be that way, but I am not gonna risk it.  High School and College age kids are a little more mentally tough, and coaches that are TRAINED in coaching may be harsh at times, but come back with a pat one the butt and "alright now lets go" and the kid knows he is loved.  They are older they can distinguish.  So again I am not gonna coach my kids till high school, right?  Then the other day I saw something that changed my whole perspective on this and almost forces me to think I am the only person I trust to coach my own boy.  A 12 year old game, coach steals the boy from third and does not tell hitter through a sign.  Runner runs, hitter swings, and as you can imagine the runner takes a full swing across the rids, and the young man has to go the hospital.  It was senseless.  This "coach" has no business coaching anyone's son, much less mine.  He endangered his own player to try to score a run.  Didn't even think, this might not be a good idea.  REAL coaches have plays and calls to alert the hitter.  Weekend Warrior daddy ball idiots want to win the trophy more than teach the game.  So many time I see terrible fundamentals and lack of game knowledge possessed by the players, but the coaches yell the loudest when they don't win. Well why don't you COACH them COACH.  Had that been Gage that got hit, me and that coach would have talked.  So I have had to go back on what I have always said.  I will coach my son whenever I can, and other young kids as well.  They need as much skill development as possible, but more importantly they need coaches that care for their safety.  I t might be a tough call, and I will  have to watch my competitive spirit, but safety and fundamentals will keep our young men and women in the game a lot longer. And with full enjoyment.

Gage with his Uncle Kaleb.  Look at that form :) LOL

 

No comments:

Post a Comment